Section 4: Accessibility Policy for Students with Disabilities
The University of Manitoba is committed to reasonable accommodation of the needs of persons with documented disabilities by making efforts to create a barrier-free campus and provide other supports and services within the limits of available resources. The University will endeavour to meet the identified needs of each student by adapting services, courses, and programs as feasible and as resources allow, while maintaining appropriate academic standards. The University expects that the responsibility for making reasonable accommodations will be shared by the students, instructors and support staff.
In applying the accessibility policy for students with disabilities, the University of Manitoba will use reasonable efforts to:
- Ensure that students with disabilities are considered for admission to programs for which they are academically qualified;
- Make appropriate disability-related accommodations for students with disabilities to assist these students in meeting the academic requirements of their programs of study, while maintaining a commitment to appropriate academic standards;
- Make facilities safe and accessible for such students;
- Foster a supportive university community by working to remove attitudinal barriers and to inform and educate community members;
- Implement delivery structures within the limits of available resources.
Printed copies of this policy are available from the Office of the University Secretary, 312 Administration Building, the Student Advocacy/Student Resource Services, 519 University Centre, and at the University of Manitoba Policy and Procedure Manual (Policy 1211) web site.