Faculty of Music
Section 2: Music Education
The educational objectives of the Faculty of Music are best presented in its mission statement: It is the mission of the Faculty of Music of the University of Manitoba to provide a broad range of opportunity for music study and to produce creative and scholarly work which is of local, national and international significance, and to instill a love of music and a recognition of its importance in defining and ennobling human experience.The Department of Music began in 1944 when classes in music theory and history were given as electives for Arts and Science students. Then, in the early 1960’s a series of courses leading to a Bachelor of Music degree were approved by the Senate of the university. This was followed in 1964 with the establishment of the School of Music. The first students enrolled in that year for a three-year general Bachelor of Music degree. A new music building was completed during 1965. Since then, the school has seen rapid growth and development, the establishment of a four-year Bachelor of Music program (which began in the fall of 1974), the Integrated Bachelor of Music/Bachelor of Education degrees (from 1984), Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in Performance (2004) and Graduate degree, in performance, conducting and composition (2001). In January 2005, the Faculty of Music was established as a full-fledged Faculty of Music.The Faculty of Music is housed in its own building which contains teaching studios and classrooms with specialized equipment, practice studios, lounges, storage facilities, a listening room and an acoustically superior 228-seat recital hall with full recording facilities.The Music Library is also in the Music Building and contains volumes, bound periodicals and scores, performance editions, and audio recordings. Performance tapes of concerts held at the Faculty of Music also form an important part of the Music Library. The collection is primarily devoted to the European classical tradition but there are special collections of jazz, ethnic music from around the world, collected works of certain local and Canadian composers, and a thoroughly representative cross-section of the entire tradition of music history.In addition to Bosendorfer and Steinway concert grand pianos, many practice pianos and an increasingly superior collection of orchestral instruments, the Faculty is equipped with a Casavant organ, harpsichords by Denzilwraight and Ritchey, Sperrhake spinet, Dolmetsch clavichord, an electronic keyboard lab equipped with 10 Roland MIDI keyboards, 1784 Beyer fortepiano, 1876 Steinway square piano, troubadour and pedal harps, chest of viols, Renaissance recorders, krummhorns, various Renaissance wind instruments, Orff instruments, and an electronic synthesizer. The Casavant organ in St. John’s Chapel is also available for practice. There is also an Electronic music and research facility.